Providing soil testing service is a knowledge based business. You must have the knowledge and skill for this business. However, if you don’t have, you can get the knowledge through practical training. Here in this post, we share a detailed soil testing service business plan for your ready reference.
The land is a perishable item. And day by day the amount of land is reducing because of growing population and fast urbanization. Therefore, the need for maximizing the productivity from a specific piece of land is increasing. In the present scenario, one can’t afford to a singular crop from a piece of land. Additionally, farmers are looking to get maximum yield with utilizing minimum agricultural inputs. And here the requirement of soil testing comes in.
Who Can Start Soil Testing Service Business
This business is perfect for the people who have an educational background in agriculture, biotechnology or microbiology or chemistry. If you are an agronomist, this business is just for you. However, a passionate individual can start this business with consistent dedication.
Soil Testing Service Business Model
You can start the business by two ways. One is an immovable soil testing laboratory. And another is the mobile soil testing van. In the first option, you will test the soil which will come to your lab. And after getting the result, you will be sending the report to your client’s email address.
In the second option, you will set up the laboratory on a van. And you offer the service as the mobile basis. In this case, you will collect the soil samples from the farm and you will give your clients an instant report. This option is more profitable than the first one. However, this model demands more capital investment than the first option.
What Services You Can Offer?
A soil testing service business can offer a wide range of services. You can start as small scale basis. And you can scale up steadily as you start getting confidence from the business. When you establish a laboratory, then it comes with a wide range of opportunities for you. Apart from the agriculture, you can cater food and food processing industries as well. Additionally, you can provide the service to the companies in agrochemicals, seed, biofuels, fertilizers, farm machinery and supplies, financial and insurance industries, storage, processing facilities and logistical construction, preparation of fresh produce for market and prepared food products.
List Of Soil Testing Services You Can Offer
- Determining the suitability of the soil and assess whether it can accommodate client’s farming project
- Providing basic services like pH balance, Buffer pH, P205, K20, Ca, Mg, Cation Exchange Capacity (C.E.C.), with or without Lime/Fertilizer Requirements.
- Soil Texture Characterization
- Conductivity of the soil
- Availability of the organic matter in the soil
- Secondary and micronutrients availability or shortage in the soil.
- According to the crop, the requirement of soil preparation etc.
Investment For Soil Testing Service Business
The major investment is the space and the laboratory equipment. If you are an absolute beginner in this industry, then we will recommend you not to buy the space. Just start the business from a rental space. Apart from the laboratory, you must have a small office space. Because you have to receive the soil samples, raise the bill and accept the payment.
Apart from the fixed cost, you have to arrange the working capital. It includes procuring the laboratory chemicals, utility bills payment, staffing and advertisement cost.
Check whether there is a Govt. subsidy or not for this business. India Govt provides financial assistance to the entrepreneurs to setting up the soil testing service business.
Things To Consider In Starting Soil Testing Service Business
- In starting the business, first, craft a business plan. It is a must. You have to determine several things. It includes what are the service you will offer, how much capital you will invest, how you will promote your services etc.
- Plan the manpower requirement. Because a major portion working capital goes to pay the employees.
- Check the licensing and permission issues at your area. It hugely depends on your location. Additionally, have a clear conception of tax liabilities of this business.
- Have a marketing strategy. You must consider promoting your business. You must aware your target demographics about the services you are offering.
- Procure good quality testing equipment. Because upgraded and modern equipment always shows the accuracy of the testing result.
- Promote your business as much as possible. Farmers training program is the most effective way of spreading the awareness.
- Go digital. You must have an informative website. Put your company details, contact details and service details clearly. Additionally, include a guide of collecing the soil samples for testing.
Soil testing service providing is a self-rewarding business. However, you must have the passion, persistence, and dedication to get the long sustaining success in this business.